Vangelis To Release
Comprehensive 13-CD Deluxe Boxset
Modern music visionary Vangelis has announced the release on 3rd February of a new 13-disc box set entitled “Delectus,” featuring a chosen selection of his early discographic work. The mammoth collection will include all of his albums on Vertigo and Polydor, recently signed by Universal and remastered for the first time ever under the legendary composer’s own supervision.
Presented in a lavish box with an essay and a plethora of rare photographs, the discs are housed in two die-cut, gatefold disc holders within a rigid 242mm square slipcase, and accompanied by a 64-page book illustrating a period of his prolific career of the iconic Maestro.
“I always welcome remastering my old work for two basic reasons” – explains Vangelis – “firstly, I get the opportunity to bring the sounds to today’s standards, secondly, it gives me the chance to go through the experiences and memories of the time.”
“Delectus” gathers together Vangelis’ seminal albums “Earth”, “L’Apocalypse Des Animaux”, “China”, “See You Later”, “Antarctica”, “Mask”, “Opera Sauvage”,“Chariots of Fire”, “Soil Festivities” and “Invisible Connections”, plus his collaborative recordings with Jon Anderson as ‘Jon & Vangelis’ – “Short Stories”, “The Friends of Mister Cairo” & “Private Collection”. The remastered originals will be complemented with rare B-sides and 4 previously unreleased tracks.
Vangelis is regarded a pioneer in the evolution of modern music. In his lustrous discographic career he has composed and performed numerous albums covering the most diverse assortment of genres. He is most popular for his movie scores including Antarctica, Blade Runner, Missing, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Alexander and the 1981 Academy Award-winning soundtrack for Chariots of Fire. ‘Titles’, the theme for ‘Chariots of Fire’, was later chosen as background to the 2012 Olympics winners’ medal presentation ceremonies.
Six years after turning down the opportunity to join Yes, Vangelis joined forces with Jon Anderson in 1981 and the duo released 3 albums under the Jon & Vangelis moniker to critical acclaim. “The Friends of Mr Cairo” included celebrated single “State of Independence”, which also reached chart success with its 1982 cover by Donna Summer and again in 1992 with a Moodswings version featuring Chrissie Hynde released as “Spiritual High (State of Independence) Pt. II”.
Vangelis’ pioneering work is recognised beyond record sales and music awards. In 1992, the Maestro was nominated Chevalier de L’ordre des Arts et des Lettres, and in 2001 Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur from the President of French Republic. He was the recipient of a Public Service Medal from NASA in 2003 and had a star named after him by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory for the international impact and appreciation of his work as well as his rapport with the Universe. In 2008 Vangelis received the America Hellenic Institute “Hellenic Heritage Achievement Award” for his exceptional musical achievements and lifelong dedication to the promotion of Hellenism through the arts. The same year he also received an honorary doctorate at the University of Athens – Faculty of Primary Education and in 2009 he received the University of Patras Greece Honorary Doctor/Professor Emeritus of the Faculty of Physics.
Albums and Track Listing: EARTH: 00600753682081
1. Come On 2. We Are All Uprooted 3. Sunny Earth 4. He-O 5. Ritual 6. Let It Happen 7. The City 8. My Face In The Rain 9. We Are All Uprooted 10. A Song
L’APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX: 00600753682098
1. Apocalypse des animaux – Générique 2. La petite fille de la mer 3. Le singe bleu 4. La mort du loup 5. L’ours musicien 6. Création du monde 7. La mer recommence CHINA: 00600753682104
1. Chung Kuo 2. The Long March 3. The Dragon 4. The Plum Blossom 5. The Tao Of Love 6. The Little Fete 7. Yin & Yang 8. Himalaya 9. Summit
SEE YOU LATER: 00600753682128
1. I Can’t Take It Anymore 2. Multi-Track Suggestion 3. Memories Of Green 4. Not A Bit – All Of It 5. Suffocation 6. See You Later 7. Neighbours Above 8. My Love 9. Domestic Logic 1
1. Theme From Antarctica 2. Antarctica Echoes 3. Kinematic 4. Song Of White 5. Life Of Antarctica 6. Memory Of Antarctica 7. Other Side Of Antarctica 8. Deliverance
1. Mask: Movement 1 2. Mask: Movement 2 3. Mask: Movement 3 4. Mask: Movement 4 5. Mask: Movement 5 6. Mask: Movement 6
OPERA SAUVAGE: 00600753682111
1. Hymne 2. Rêve 3. L’enfant 4. Mouettes 5. Chromatique 6. Irlande 7. Flamants roses
CHARIOTS OF FIRE: 00600753682135
1. Titles 2. Five Circles 3. Abraham’s Theme 4. Eric’s Theme 5. 100 Metres 6. Jerusalem 7. Chariots Of Fire
SOIL FESTIVITIES: 00600753682159
1. Soil Festivities: Movement 1 2. Soil Festivities: Movement 2 3. Soil Festivities: Movement 3 4. Soil Festivities: Movement 4 5. Soil Festivities: Movement 5
INVISIBLE CONNECTIONS: 00600753682173
1. Invisible Connections 2. Atom Blaster 3. Thermo Vision SHORT STORIES: 00600753682180
1. Curious Electric 2. Each And Every Day 3. Bird Song 4. I Hear You Now 5. The Road 6. Far Away In Baagad 7. Love Is 8. One More Time 9. Thunder 10. Play Within A Play
PRIVATE COLLECTION: 00600753682203
1. Italian Song 2. And When The Night Comes 3. Deborah 4. Polonaise 5. He Is Sailing 6. Horizon 7. Song Is
THE FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO: 00600753682197
1. I’ll Find My Way Home 2. State of Independence 3. Beside 4. The Mayflower 5. The Friends of Mr. Cairo 6. Back To School 7. Outside Of This (Inside of That) 8. One More Time 9. Thunder 10. Play Within A Play
There are 4 bonus tracks, the previously unreleased:
Neighbours Above – 2015 Remastered version – Bonus track for See You Later
The other bonus tracks are:
My Love – 2015 Remastered version – Bonus track for See You Later Domestic Logic 1 – 2015 Remastered version – Bonus track for See You later Song Is (Jon & Vangelis) – 2015 Remastered version – Bonus track for Private Collection
They were released on singles and have never appeared on CD before.
Both old and new fans who enjoyed Vangelis’s space-centered album “Rosetta” – won’t miss the opportunity to own some of the Maestro’s most groundbreaking work, remastered from the original first generation master tapes, all in an attractive and informative package. “Delectus” is out on 3rd February through all usual retailers.
You can pre-order the box set HERE.